Post Top Ad


Friday, 27 November 2020

Biting cold, drizzle fail to dampen farmers’ spirit

Parveen Arora
Tribune News Service
Karnal, November 26

A light drizzle on a chilly Wednesday night and farmers unwinding in the open along the National Highway 44 after a long day marked by protests and marches — that's how the day ended for farmers who began their protest march from the Mohra mandi in Ambala.

The weather, though, was no dampener on the enthusiasm of the farmers, most of who could hardly sleep. With limited trollies and fewer cots available at a dhaba near Samanabahu village where they camped, farmers spent the night staying awake and keeping vigil.

Fearing detention by the police, most of the young farmers sat cuddled in blankets and stayed up through the night ensuring that their leaders and elder farmers rested enough to lead them through another day of protests.

"It was a cold night and temperature dipped further because of the rain. We spent the night in trolleys without fear," Sombir, a farmer of Ambala district, said, adding that they would make the "Delhi Chalo" protest against the three farm laws a success.

"We kept our spirits high by discussing our strategy. Langar and tea were served throughout the night," said Gurjant Singh, another farmer while having a sip of tea.

Labh Singh, another farmer, said: "Farmers are used to spending nights in the open. It was nothing new for us. We are determined to march towards Delhi to protest against the Centre."

Jai Singh, another farmer from Ambala district, said: "Farmers harvest the crop after spending nights irrigating the fields. Our night-long vigil in chilling weather will bear fruit."

The barricading near Karan Lake by the Karnal administration forced some commuters to spend the Wednesday night in their vehicles on the NH-44.

Among them were a newly married couple and members of the wedding party. "I got married on Wednesday. My family, wife and I were on our way home in Delhi when our cars stopped because of the jam. We have no option, but to spend the night in the car," Lucky, the groom, said.

Some commuters travelled several kilometers on foot as the taxi they had hired had refused to take them further.

from The Tribune

No comments:

Post a comment